Parked parking lot

Back to Article
Back to Article

Parked parking lot

Jack McKenzie, Website editor

Tartan is working on its traffic problem. Parents and students have expressed issues with the layout of the parking lot in front of the school. At the beginning of this school year, Tartan changed the signage to include a ‘buses only’ area close to the entrance and designated a lane for parents to pick up and drop off students. 

The front parking lot is shaped like a ‘U’,  with cars entering at one end and exiting through the other. In the past, the cars could enter and exit from both sides in a three-lane configuration, with two lanes being dedicated to exits on both sides. Due to these changes, all cars and buses are forced out of two lanes on one side of the parking lot. This causes a backup and requires police and administrators to direct traffic. 

Kyle Linder, one of the student drivers at Tartan, said that the time you exit the parking lot depends on “if you beat the buses or not. If we don’t beat the buses, then it’s gonna be about 2:57.” 

Some problems have been fixed by these changes. Having a bus drop off area separate from other vehicles is safer for students. Having a singular entrance and exit is less confusing than the old layout. “The bus drivers’ lives are a lot easier,” said Kyle. “ Because now they don’t have to worry about us. They have their own lanes. They have the lanes shut down when they go. They don’t have to worry about people trying to squeeze in between them, trying to beat them.” 

Safety is a major issue, and the administration made these changes for a reason. 

“The first day (of school) was super rough, but that was because we were all new to it,” Kyle said. “But I have noticed that it has gotten slightly better. So I do think, over time it might, but there is only so much we can improve on. A lot of it is just waiting.”